Failure is not an option, because...success is the only option!
Our mission is to cultivate and develop the entire school community so that all students are college-and-or career ready. With foci on all populations of children, teachers will engage collaboratively to ensure accelerated student learning through reflective practice and professional learning experiences. A guiding philosophy of all adults in the school community is that every student deserves an effective teacher, and we work tirelessly to seek out opportunities that will advance this belief.
Our goal is to increase the number of level 3 and 4 students by 10% in English Language Arts and Mathematics.
Dear Parents/ Guardians & Families:
It seems like every time I sit down to write my parent newsletter I say to myself, I can’t believe how fast the year is going. As we all know, December is here and with that comes the holiday season. My hope is that you enjoy time with your family and friends, and you are able to rest and take in this special time of year. During the month of November, we had a number of successful events happening here at the school. Our first marking period ended on October 31. On November 20th, we had parent-teacher conferences, which gave parents and teachers the opportunity to meet and discuss their child’s performance. On November 26th, I.S. 339 and the community took time to celebrate the diversity of our students with food and to celebrate the learning that is taking place. We had a variety of dishes from different countries and we would like to thank you for making this festivity a success.
Here at I.S. 339 we love working together with parents to bridge the gap between home and school. It is an important partnership that will assist your child in becoming successful. With the busy holiday season approaching, time can sometimes slip away, or we may feel that there is not enough time to accomplish the goals we have set. An important life skill that we can assist our students with is time management. Education World, an educational website, gives us various ways educators and parents can help students with time management. Some suggestions include:
- Waking up with an alarm clock each day, which gives them time to get ready and assists them without feeling rushed.
- Providing a magnet/corkboard or some sort of means for your child to collect important information about school events, activities, or dates.
- The use of a calendar either electronically from our school website or printed document to record your child’s upcoming activities. This can help your child track deadlines and more.
- Breaking long-term projects into smaller tasks and setting completion goals can help students not become overwhelmed.
These are just a few ways that we can help our students with time management.
There is always something special about this time of the year. Regardless of ones religious affiliation and regardless of the commercialism in our city and stores. A spirit of joy and sharing always seems to prevail during the holiday season. Keep in mind that the best thing you can give your child is “time." Let their joy, excitement, and sense of wonder inspire you to keep the spirit of the season alive with your family and friends. These experiences will add richness and meaning to your life.
We appreciate how dedicated and involved the parents of students are here at I.S. 339. We thank you for your support. The I.S. 339 staff extends warm wishes to you and your family this holiday season. We hope that it is filled with holiday cheer.
A great way to stay connected to I.S. 339 and your child’s academic progress is through our website, www.is339.org. If you have questions or concerns please call, email, or send a note with your child. Our main office number is 718-583-6767.
SAVE THE DATE
- December 5st Honor roll & Perfect Attendance Assembly
- December 6th Saturday Academy
- December 8th Learning walk II
- December 10th ARIS parent workshop 5pm
- December 13th Saturday Academy
- December 15th SLT & PA Meeting
- December 15th Re-Take Pictures
- December 17th Father Forum @ 5:30pm
- December 18th Holiday Dance 3:30pm-6pm
- December 20th Saturday Academy
The mandatory uniform policy is intended to promote a more effective learning climate; foster school unity and pride; improve student performance; foster self-esteem; eliminate label competition; simplify dressing and minimize costs to parents. Our school uniform consist of the Official Tech Tiger polo shirt:
- 6th Grade: White shirt and khaki pants
- 7th Grade: Red shirt and khaki pants
- 8th Grade: Navy blue shirt and khaki pants